- Consumers and businesses across Wales to benefit from Vodafone’s increased investment as part of £1 billion being spent across the UK on network and services
- Bridgend named the 400th community to receive Vodafone’s Ultrafast 4G as rollout starts across Caerphilly, Cardiff, Connah’s Quay, Llanelli, Newport and Penarth
Vodafone UK has announced plans to strengthen mobile phone services across Wales, bringing stronger indoor and outdoor network coverage and mobile internet access to more communities and businesses. The company predicts the investment will bring 3G and 4G mobile coverage to more than 94% of the Welsh population.
The news comes as Vodafone is rolling out its ultrafast 4G across Caerphilly, Cardiff, Connah’s Quay, Llanelli, Newport and Penarth. The arrival of ultrafast 4G will help thousands of residents and visitors stay in touch with friends and family and give them better access to local services. Customers will also be able to take advantage of a wide range of entertainment content whether at home or on the go, offering music, sport, movies and TV through Vodafone’s leading content partnerships*.
The arrival of 4G will also help businesses enable employees to work where they want to and when they want to. Local businesses will also be able to react faster to the needs of customers and introduce remote working practices for staff which can help reduce costs and increase productivity. Today’s announcement follows news last month that Bridgend in South Wales had become the 400th community to benefit from the arrival of Vodafone’s ultrafast 4G service.
In addition, Vodafone UK announced that Loggersheads Country Park (Denbighshire), Brynesglwys (Denbighshire), Moylegrove (Pembrokeshire) and Corris (Gwynedd) are amongst the 100 communities from across the UK shortlisted to receive 3G coverage under its Rural Open Sure Signal programme. Working with the local community, Welsh government and local politicians, Vodafone has already installed the ground-breaking technology to provide 3G coverage in the rural community of Pendine in Carmarthenshire.
The network investment across Wales is part of the £1 billion Vodafone is spending across its network and services across the UK.
Economy Minister Edwina Hart commented: “Connectivity is a key priority for the Welsh Government and the news that Vodafone is investing in Wales with its network and services is very welcome. The rollout of Vodafone’s 4G will mean fast internet speeds which will benefit residents, businesses and visitors alike. I also warmly welcome the improvements in connectivity that the local communities shortlisted for the Rural Open Sure Signal programme will see.”
Jorge Fernandes, CTO for Vodafone UK, commented: “Our network improvements across Wales will ensure more people and businesses have the opportunity to thrive in today’s digital world, whilst the launch of 4G will give them the opportunity to access and share data faster than ever before. invest in our network and services across the country.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
- * For more information on Vodafone’s current 4G content partnerships visit www.vodafone.co.uk/4g
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
- For more information on the Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal programme visit www.vodafone.co.uk/ruralThe successful communities are subject to further assessments and required planning permissions (if applicable)
- Coverage predictions are based on an assumption that Vodafone can obtain planning permission to build sites, access to land or buildings to place equipment and backhaul to connect sites.
- Vodafone 4G is typically six times faster than our 3G. Speeds vary and depend on coverage and demand. For more information visit www.vodafone.co.uk/4g
- Vodafone Data Test Drive – use as much UK data as you want for three months when you choose a Pay monthly or 12-month SIM only plan. For more information visit www.vodafone.co.uk/testdrive