Vodafone UK has announced major network improvements across Sheffield, bringing stronger indoor and outdoor coverage, and mobile internet services across its 3G and 4G networks. This is part of Vodafone’s approximate £2 billion investment across the UK in the last two years, which will help extend 3G and 4G mobile coverage to more than 98% of the Sheffield population.
As a consequence of the network improvements already undertaken by Vodafone over the last year, mobile data traffic in Sheffield has rocketed. Customers are now collectively using just under three terabytes of data every day, which equates to everyone in Bramall Lane, when full to capacity, streaming the Arctic Monkey’s iconic hit I bet you look good on the dancefloor, over fifty times each.
The upgrade forms part of Vodafone’s approximate £3 million daily nationwide network and service investment rolled out over the last two years. This investment is already benefitting customers in Sheffield, a fact endorsed by results from independent technology consultancy LCC, which show that Vodafone has unbeatable indoor and outdoor 4G coverage in the city**. In light of this, 4G data usage in Sheffield equates to over 70% of usage, and total data usage is around double what it was this time last year.
In addition, the recent strengthening of our 3G network across the city has already provided greater coverage, High Definition (HD) Voice technology for voice calls and faster mobile internet services to more consumers and businesses.
A snapshot of Vodafone in Sheffield:
- The data usage across Sheffield peaked at major events over the last year. This included the Tramlines Music Festival where it increased by the equivalent of an additional 8.4million Snapchat images sent and received.
- The average data traffic per week in Sheffield is equal to browsing the internet for over 820,000 hours*- that’s equivalent to someone surfing the web for over 93 years!
- Daily 4G data traffic in Sheffield now equals more than 730,000* songs being streamed every day.
– ends –
NOTES TO EDITORS
- *based on the average song size being 4MB, average non HD film being 750MB and 1 hour of typical browsing equating to 10-25MB as collated by
- **4G coverage assessed by LCC in December 2015 against key competitors with 4G coverage.
- Vodafone has expanded its ultrafast 4G coverage to 799 larger cities, towns and districts as well as thousands of smaller communities across the UK. For more information on our 4G coverage visit vodafone.co.uk/4g.
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
- Coverage predictions are based on an assumption that Vodafone can obtain planning permission to build sites, access to land or buildings to place equipment and backhaul to connect sites.
- Vodafone 4G is typically 3.6 times faster than our 3G. Speeds vary and depend on coverage and demand. For more information visit vodafone.co.uk/4g
- 4G devices are available for review on request.