Vodafone UK and Tower 42, London’s original skyscraper, have teamed up to provide customers with the highest 4G service in the City of London, provided by Vodafone.
The in-building 4G system covers the tower’s 42 floors and uses Vodafone’s latest high-bandwidth 2.6GHz spectrum to provide excellent 4G coverage with ample capacity. This means that from even the dizzy heights of the Vertigo 42 Champagne Bar, you’ll still enjoy the same great coverage.
In addition to installing hundreds of antennas, Vodafone engineers worked tirelessly behind the scenes in the building’s core to install over 6100m of coax cable and 2000m of fibre to power the installation. Stretched out, this would equal the height of the building over 43 times or the distance from London Bridge to the Natural History Museum.
Vodafone UK’s Head of Network Kye Prigg said: “We are delighted that Tower 42 invited us to partner with them to deliver the best service possible to our customers, in one of the busiest and most popular areas of London. With many of London’s skyscrapers now towering above our mobile network below, our engineers have to head for the heights in order to provide customers with a strong 4G signal. Increasingly, we are providing bespoke 4G systems to achieve this, as well as working out new ways to overcome modern designs, such as reflective glass which can divert radio waves.”
Philip Lewis, Kirsh Group, commented on behalf of the owners: “At Tower 42, we take great pride in offering the best facilities and there is no doubt that good mobile phone and data connectivity is critical to modern business success. In partnership with Vodafone, this technology allows us to lead the way in delivering dedicated 4G coverage to the 2,500 people who work within the Tower and our 1,200 daily visitors.”
Vodafone’s integrated 4G system in Tower 42 forms part of Vodafone UK’s continued commitment and investment in the London network which is now offering 4G to 99% of the city’s population. As a result, 4G data usage is increasing month on month and total weekly data usage equates to more than 300 years of continuous web browsing*. Our call set up rate is also industry leading at over 99% and our dropped call rate is down to 0.58% throughout London. As a result of this, Vodafone’s network in London has been recognised as number one by leading independent technology consultancy, P3.
Tower 42 forms part of the Tower 42 Estate, which comprises six self-contained building on a freehold site of 2.2 acres. The skyscraper provides unique office space in a range of flexible leasing options, in the heart of the City of London. The Estate continues to attract tenants from a diverse occupier base whilst achieving market leading rent. As a result, it is now home to over 50 international companies and 3,500 people.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- *based on the average song size as 4MB, average non HD film as 750MB and 1 hour of typical browsing equating to 10-25MB as collated by http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/guide-to-internet-data-usage
- Vodafone has expanded its ultrafast 4G coverage to 750 larger cities, towns and districts as well as thousands of smaller communities across the UK. For more information on our 4G coverage visit vodafone.co.uk/4g.
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
- Coverage predictions are based on an assumption that Vodafone can obtain planning permission to build sites, access to land or buildings to place equipment and backhaul to connect sites.
- Vodafone 4G is typically 3.6 times faster than our 3G. Speeds vary and depend on coverage and demand. For more information visit vodafone.co.uk/4g.
- 4G devices are available for review on request.
About Tower 42
- Tower 42 is a landmark building offering 324,000 sq ft of high quality office space spread over 42 floors in the heart of the City of London.
- The Tower 42 Estate provides a high quality environment with an outstanding range of services.
- At more than 600 ft in height, is one of the tallest buildings in the City of London.
- Location: Tower 42, 25 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1HQ
- For those looking for prime offices on the most flexible terms in the city, please visit http://www.tower42.com/.
- The owners of the Tower 42 estate have begun construction of a brand new 55,000 sq ft office building, 15 Bishopsgate. Full details can be found here: http://15bishopsgate.co.uk/.